1/19/08

fame is so fleeting

a friend of mine gave me season tickets to the barons games. the barons are a professional latvian basketball team and between the first and third quarters of their games they let people shoot half court shots. if someone makes it, then they get a free car to drive for a month...

well, as the first quarter ended i watched as all of this was taking place (as pictured in the background between the guy akwardly shooting the ball and the gentleman in the green) and sarcastically made the comment that "i could make that." well, my friend who gave me the tickets was sitting down the row and heard me and because she works for the team she quickly got up and set me up to shoot at the end of the third quarter. great. that gave me plenty of time to sit and think about the shot and get nervous. the third quarter finally came around and a few of us guys walked out onto the court before they realized they had no balls for us to shoot with. we waited around for about 30 seconds before they eventually got balls out for us to shoot with. thats when everything went crazy... it became a mad rush to get a ball and shoot.

i got a ball and calmly took my first shot. on target, but a little short.

i got another ball and shot again. a little closer.

as i went to grab a third ball i caught an elbow to the face! no joke. these guys were not messing around. fortunately for me, this was my third shot and by that time i was dialed in... weight, distance, wind, humidity... everything.

i let go of the ball and then sat and watched as it sailed through the air. it felt good.

it hit off the back of the rim.

as i turned around to grab another ball, the crowd went crazy. the guy behind me had made his shot! nuts.

i bet it was that same guy who elbowed me in the face... jerk! haha.

maybe next time...

2 comments:

friendofcooljoe said...

hahaha
i love this story so much
i might just journal about it!

Jason said...

That story made me smile! Keep your chin up my friend...